1. What is the All-State `Ukulele (Ka ‘Aha Ho‘okani ‘Ukulele) event?
The All-State `Ukulele (Ka ‘Aha Ho‘okani ‘Ukulele) is a group comprised of students from school music departments across the state of Hawai`i. The event is divided into two groups, middle/intermediate who will perform first, followed by high school students.
The group is directed by a guest conductor and performs in Orvis Auditorium at UHM on November 16, 2019. Rehearsals take place in Rooms 201, 212, and 36 in the Music Department at UHM on Saturday, November 16, 1:00 p.m. followed by a concert at 7:30 pm.
2. Is this a competition?
The HMEA All-State `Ukulele is a performance, not a competition.
3. Can I register directly as an individual?
No. Registration is done only through private and public-school music directors of the music program at the school the student attends, and private studio instructors of the students. Last day to register is October 20.
4. How does a student qualify?
● Students must be recommended by the director of their `ukulele ensemble or private instructor.
● Students must perform at the All-State `ukulele performance.
5. How do I register my student?
All-State `Ukulele Orchestra registration is done through the student’s school music program or private instructor. Information regarding scheduling times and appropriate materials should be received by HMEA by September 23, 2019. The school director or private instructor must be a member of NAfME. Due to limited space, instructors will submit a list of recommended students in order of proficiency. The top three students of each school music teacher's list and top two students on each private instructor's list will be guaranteed a spot in the All State Event. If there is additional available space, the remaining students on each list will be considered in the order of their listing at HMEA's discretion.
The HMEA organizing committee will have the right to make the final decisions.
6. When is the audition?
There is no audition.
7. What is the cost of participation (students and teachers) in this event?
The event fee is $30 for each student, and $30 for any teachers who attend for the day.
● The fee covers meals, drinks, and miscellaneous expenses. The meals include Sunday snacks and dinner.
● Professional players will rehearse with students during sectionals.
● All family members and friends are invited to join us at a reception after the performance.
Click image to enlarge
Click image to enlarge
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org