1. What is All-State String Orchestra?
The All-State String Orchestra is an honor group comprised of the top students from school music departments across the state of Hawai`i. The group is directed by a guest conductor and performs in Orvis Auditorium at UHM during the annual HMEA In-Service Conference, January 14, 2018. Rehearsals take place in Room 108 in the Music Department at UHM during the conference from Friday, January 12 through the Sunday concert.
2. Is this a competition?
The HMEA All-State String Orchestra is a performance, not a competition.
3. Can I register directly as an individual?
No. Registration is done only through private and public school music directors, the music program at the school the student attends, and private studio instructors.
4. How does a student qualify?
● Students must be recommended by the director of their high school orchestra ensemble or private instructor.
● Students must perform an All-State audition.
● If selected for All-State, the student’s high school principal must endorse the final forms.
5. How do I register my child?
All-State String Orchestra registration is done through the student’s school music program. Information regarding scheduling times and appropriate materials should be received by HMEA by September 15, 2017. The audition fee is $10. The school director or private instructor must be a member of NAfME or ASTA.
6. Do I need an accompanist?
No, you do not need an accompanist.
7. When is the audition? What should my son or daughter play?
Auditions will be held on Saturday, October 14th at the UHM Music Department. Applicants will be asked to perform a three octave scale of their choice demonstrating détaché and spiccato bow strokes, a solo piece of their choice that best demonstrates their technical level and a short excerpt. Excerpts will be distributed to area teachers and schools before September 15.
8. What is the cost of to participate in this event?
The event fee is $85.
● The fee covers meals, drinks, and miscellaneous expenses. The meals include Friday dinner; Saturday breakfast, lunch and dinner; Sunday dinner.
● Professional players from Hawai`i Symphony Orchestra will rehearse with students during sectionals.
● All students are invited to join HMEA In-service Conference Keynote Speaker presentation with no fee.
● All family members and friends are invited to join us at a reception after the performance.
This information is adapted from the New York State School Music Association (NYSSMA) website (used with permission).
For more information contact email@example.com